In this particular app, the VFP app is a standalone on a windows
machine, used "in the field" for data collection. Internet access is
unlikely; cell phone coverage is infrequent. Machines operate as
standalone single-user applications; before starting their day, they
get a download to drive the application, and at the end of the day,
they upload a batch of collected data.

So, internet, cloud, hosted or RDP solutions need not apply, at least
in this case. There are still remote places in the world where the
internet is not ubiquitous.

The "brains" of the application, the core business logic, processing
and reporting, are a web application. The VFP just serves as the
"muscle" -- the app that can go anywhere and do anything.

FYI, Ken: there are a bunch of RDP applications for Linux. I used them
all the time to hook into a bunch of headless windows machines. I've
developed this entire VFP app that way, as my primary workstation is a
Linux laptop.