On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 4:17 AM, Alan Bourke <alanpbou...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> The CPU is irrelevant. The only relevant question is "does this machine
> run full-fat, non-RT Windows?". If it does then VFP will run on it.

Well, no, it's the same question, from two angles: VFP requires an
x86-compatible CPU instruction set, as some of its code is
on-the-metal assembler. Similarly, the Win32-compatible code base
hasn't (yet) been ported to anything other than "Full-fat" (I like
that, Alan!) Windows. However, both MSFT and their vendors (and the
resellers and refurbers) have a bad habit of renaming or mis-naming
the actual OS on the devices.

When you run into a tablet-convertible with a 4-core 32-bit CPU, 32 Gb
SSD storage and 2 Gb RAM running "Windows" it's tough to know what
exactly that means. Hence, my question.

> In terms of Windows RT, I think that as far as I know nobody is selling
> RT hardware any more, including MS, we can consign that one to the bin
> at least in its current form.

Not necessarily new, but there are a lot of vendors of "refurbished"
hardware out there, and I have a few frugal clients always on the
lookout for a deal too good to be true.

The machine in question, an ASUS T100, is available refurbished from
NewEgg: Atom 1.33 GHz - 10.1″ 1366 x 768 - 2 GB RAM, 32 Gb SSD for
$199 or less with a coupon. Whether that has sufficient OOoomph to run
VFP was the original question.

I'm not sure I'd be happy with the screen size, but the price is tempting.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC