Ted,

Sorry for joining late. Enthusiastic support for the 15" MacBook Pro
Retina, 16 Gb RAM, 256 or 512 Gb SSD.

When you think about the value of your time, having the best the laptop
possible is one of the best investments you can make. Yes, you will pay
more, but check the resale value on used MacBooks ... you will make up
the difference in cost when you decide on your next laptop purchase.

The MacBook Pro will not disappoint. Super reliable, high performance,
easy to use, long battery life. Retina display is gorgeous. Apple's
Magic Mouse is a $79 accessory that's highly recommended. Built-in
keyboard is good. I use the $49 Apple corded USB keyboard when I'm not
traveling. This keyboard adds 2 additional USB 2.0 ports and a full
numeric keypad.

Absolutely love OS X. Very stable and secure...  rarely reboot and have
only locked my workstation up once in the last 18 months. Lots of
personal productivity features ... Spotlight provides instant searching
at not only the file and file content level, but the application level
as well, eg. searching your contacts, calendar, and Evernote notes.
Application launch utilities like Alfred (among others) make moving
between applications almost seamless. Seamlessly integrates with iPhones
so I can call out and answer my mobile phone without taking my hands off
the keyboard ... even if my phone is another room recharging. Same for
sending and replying to text messages.

The only disappointment has been Microsoft's Office products have lagged
behind their Windows equivalents. This limitation should disappear later
this year when Microsoft synchronizes their Office software across all
platforms. Worst case: You can always switch over to a Windows VM to use
Office 2013 specific features. So far I haven't found the need to do
this ... just pointing out this possible limitation.

My recommendation: Take the MacBook Pro for a 2 week spin and return it
for your money back if you find it wanting.

Malcolm

PS: A shout out to Dave, Christof, Paul, Ed and others on this list who
encouraged me to consider the MacBook 1.5 years ago. Great advice. Thank
you again!