On Dec 11, 2006, at 12:48 PM, John Weller wrote:

> What is the cost?  I am looking at a database for a client with
> probably 5
> or 6 users.  They are unlikely to need support above what I can
> provide.
> I've gone for MySQL because of the wealth of info available in
> Whil's book
> and this list - should I be looking at M$ SQL Server or PostGreSQL?

        If they are going to be using the database server in-house and not
creating distributable apps, or otherwise distributing the MySQL
code, then there is no cost.

        PostgreSQL (the correct spelling) is 100% zero-cost in all cases. MS
SQL is 100% high-code in all cases. MySQL is dual-licensed, under
either the GPL or a commercial license. If your usage complies with
the GPL license, there is no cost for MySQL. If you want to release a
non-GPL app, the commercial license can cost a few hundred dollars.
I'm not sure on the cost, as I haven't had a need to purchase any
licenses.

-- Ed Leafe
-- http://leafe.com
-- http://dabodev.com