=> Subject: Re: [OT] Justice Dept. Database Stirs Privacy Fears
=>
=> Consider yourself as a high ranking powerful government
=> official with access to detailed, sensitive information
=> about every American at your fingertips.  Information can be
=> a powerful weapon.  You could SQL the database of Americans
=> by religion, race, political affiliation, income, career
=> choice, sexual orientation, age, sex, criminal record,
=> Armed service record, and eventually DNA makeup, etc.  A
=> secret police force would be needed to maintain the
=> database.  The secret police could add to the database based
=> on their surveillance, investigations, rumors, etc.  Citizen
=> could be encourage to add to the information in the database
=> by reporting personal information that came to them from
=> neighbor or aquantance, etc.  You could then blackmail
=> citizens, target groups of citizen for purposes of
=> discrimination, abuse, or even elimination.  It would be the
=> perfect tool to insure perpetual power in government.
=>
=> Regards,
=>
=> LelandJ
=>

Sounds like someone bought J. Edgar Hoover a PC for Christmas.

This is not new, Leland.  We've had this type of thing since the 30's.  IBM
created one for the Nazi's to use to exterminate Jews and other undesirables
and after that beta test, gave the whole thing to Uncle Sam.  If you vote,
drive, apply for a government job, or get within 10 feet of a crime, you are in
the database.

I am not happy about it, but I cannot understand why this has suddenly become
an issue when it's been going on for 70 years (almost as long as Python!).

B+
HALinNY