Hi Ed,

Thanks for responding.

>>      Why the free laptop? Why not provide a free copy of Vista? Why not do
>> what hardware
companies do, and provide a paid shipping box for returning the hardware after
the review?<<

I agree this is a bit much. If I was a blogger in this situation I would be
stressing the specs
needed to run Vista based on the hardware I was sent, but this is not the point
I am trying to
resolve.

One simple reason though is time. How long does it take for you to set up a new
machine? How many
potential reviewers have extra hardware available? I have listened to Craig
Boyd and the amount of
time he has taken to load and reload Vista on his machine during the CTP cycle.
I would not have the
time or energy to do so. Microsoft also offered to take back the hardware or
allowed the blogger to
give it away if they wanted. So in fact they should be satisfying your
requirement.

I have said the same thing about beta software. I want vendors to provide me a
virtual PC (VMWare
appliance, or VirtualPC image) to me so I don't have to risk my primary
machine, or my backup
machine to test out their products. I beta test a lot of products (not all
Microsoft) and this would
save me tons of time. What Microsoft did was save the bloggers time.

Would you be complaining about this if Microsoft simply handed out Vista DVDs
with the same
intention? I am guessing a lot of people would. In fact, I would say the same
thing would have
happened. Microsoft bribing bloggers with free DVDs - it is a slow news week.

>>      I suppose that if corporate lobbyists gave politicians free travel,
>> free golf outings, free
dining at fine restaurants and yes, even free computers, but said "Senator,
this isn't a bribe! No,
no, of course not! I just want you to *think* about our interests before you
vote.
You don't have to promise to vote a certain way!", you'd consider that to be
ethical? I mean, after
all, they explicitly did not require a quid pro quo, so it is just "another way
that companies can
market" to politicians.<<

While I see your point on this, I believe this is different from politics, this
is marketing. The
government lives in its own world, and unfortunately lobbying is still legal,
and will likely always
be legal unfortunately. In fact, this is an accepted practice because it is
legal. I don't agree
with it, but it is as it is.

What we are talking about is free market enterprise and getting the word out on
a commercial
product. We are also talking about the blogging communities self proclaimed
"new media" title. So,
is it so wrong for a company to use the "new media" to do marketing/advertising
provided the proper
rules of disclosure are followed? This is the core question I am trying to
answer.

>>    Do you want everyone to immediately discredit anything you write because
>> you work for
Microsoft? Does your relationship with Microsoft by default mean that you are a
shill? Would you
hold a high opinion of someone who used that as their only basis for
discrediting your writing?<<

Definitely not, and in fact I asked this to clarify my understanding of your
opinion. It is not my
intention to discredit your writing. I am trying to understand the situation
and form an opinion.
That is all. I actually used the word "dislike" to tone down my question. I
believe you have been
very strong in your opinions of Microsoft on this forum. I think most people on
this list understand
how you feel. I find myself agreeing with you sometimes and disagreeing with
you on others. In this
particular case I was trying to understand how you formed your opinion on this
topic. Nothing more,
nothing less.

>>      I sure hope that you don't mean to imply that mine isn't. That would be
>> well below your
standards for discourse.<<

Ed, I did not mean to imply this at all. I was trying to emphasize that I have
not made up my mind
on the topic of PayForPost. I am really sorry you feel I was attacking you
personally. It was never
my intention, honest. I am trying to make a business decision the same way I
make all my business
decisions: based on understanding the facts, on the how it will affect
profitability, based on my
moral and ethics, how it impacts my schedule and life, and whether it fits into
the company's
mission.

>>      How open are you? How many operating systems do you use on a daily
>> basis? How many
development languages do you use regularly? Out of those, how many are not
Microsoft products?<<

For the record I believe it is six different operating systems (2003 Server,
XP, 2000, NT4,
PocketPC, Fedora <gasp>), three or four different development languages (VFP,
ASP, PHP <gasp>, T-SQL
(depending if you consider this a language)). Not all of my business is
directly resulting from
Microsoft products, but most is and the reason is simple: expertise and demand.
My clients run
Windows and I develop for the platform. A simple implementation of fundamental
economics - supply
and demand.

Thanks for helping me in my quest to resolve this issue.

Rick
White Light Computing, Inc.

www.whitelightcomputing.com
www.rickschummer.com