At 08:29 PM 1/23/2007 -0300, Ricardo Aráoz wrote:

>I think it has been asked of you many times in this thread, but
>considering you are seemingly contradicting your statements I'll ask you
>once more.
>ARE YOU A CHRISTIAN BECAUSE YOU BELIEVE IN CHRISTIAN PRECEPTS  OR
>BECAUSE YOU ACT ACCORDING TO CHRISTIAN PRECEPTS?

I don't see how they're contradictory. Maybe some of my other posts have
already clarified this for you but I'll say it again.

Making a judgement (a guess) about whether or not someone else is a
Christian basically requires you look at their actions, words, etc. But
that judgement (guess) has absolutely no bearing on whether or not the
person is actually a Christian.

You are a Christian based on what is in your heart. If you go to a
Christian Church every Sunday, donate a lot to charity, help the poor, and
offer kindness to strangers, by all outward appearances you are a
Christian. However, if while you're doing all that, you are bitter in your
heart, and you don't really love God, and the only reason you keep doing
these things is because you think they'll "buy" you into heaven then, nope,
you are not a Christian. At the same time, consider a bum on the street
begging for money, and who maybe stealing sometimes. But in his heart he's
trying to let God control his life and he knows that the grace of God alone
is what can save him; he is a Christian.

So, 'behaving' like a Christian nor 'believing' in Christian precepts will
save you. It's what you've taken into your heart. If you think that means
'believe', then OK. But I think it goes beyond belief. You've got to take
God's offer of grace personally and let it transform you. When someone does
that, the "good works" usually start happening.

Again, all this is just my opinion and understanding of the Gospel message.

-Charlie