James E Harvey wrote:
> Is there a "recommended" drive size for the "C" drive in a partitioned hard
> drive?

It depends on what you're going to use the box for and what/how much
you're going to install on it.

> I'm getting a new pc with a 250G HDD.
>
> I thought I'd just have software installed on the "C" drive, and everything
> else on the "D" drive.

Which is, of course, the way it ought to be. Stupid MSFT never cared
about segregating software and data, burying user data and settings in
the bowels of the C drive. (rant note: Linux, by design, keeps these
things separate, which is one reason I took to it so comfortably.)

Anyway, supposing you're going to be using this as a typical dev
machine, not a ton of new apps but you still want room to grow...

I'd say 20 GB would be way more than enough for C. I've got a W2K box
with a 6GB C drive and it regularly runs out of room. Another box with
12 GB is very comfortable, but I don't load it up with a lot of stuff.
If you're worried, make it 25 - the difference between a 225 and a 230 D
drive isn't much. <s>

My Linux boxes have 20 GB (out of 100+) for what you would call the 'C'
drive contents; the rest I leave to data. (For those of you Linux folks,
that means a 100 MB /boot, an 80 GB /home dir, and 20 GB for /. I move
mysql and such to a /home/data dir.)

Whil