You don't expect manufacturers to support your Ford when you have changed the
ignition, run a different type of fuel, have added a turbocharger, put in an
NO2 system, changed the seats and pimped it to a point where no one would
recognise it.

If we kept the PC exactly as it was sold to you then maybe they would be able
to offer a longer warranty, but we don't so they can't.

My laptop is two weeks old, in that time, I have removed Norton, added AVG,
added Office, Visual Studio, GNU Backgammon, Termlite, Ghostscript, Acrobat,
changed hundreds of settings on a product that cost £900 with an OS that
probably cost me less than £100.

If I had the option to do so many changes on my car and Mercedes still had to
support it with no ongoing maintenance revenue, you can be sure the cost would
more than double, maybe triple as a one off cost.

People won't pay ongoing service costs for an OS they want a one off cost, so
the only way to maintain revenue and fund bug fixes etc. is to introduce new
versions.

$0.02

::a