Rick,

> >> Lo and behold, the politicians from the partner company, who I was
> required to work with, claimed that, as you describe, *we* (meaning
> *they*) has a need to analyze the requirements and choose the
> best tool for the job.<<
>
> Politics is just another requirement from my perspective.

Aye, but when it involves the boss, it's not just politics, it's his/her
world.

> I do not see this as classroom theory. In my experience this is
> reality. As you note, politics has an unfortunate impact of
> bogging the process down, but in my opinion, it is better to
> make mistakes as early in the process as possible. This is
> the cheapest place to make them. Sometimes politics makes it
> impossible to make the best decision from your perspective,
> but in reality the management feels they are making the best
> decision and they are paying the bills. Hopefully the
> decisions work out, or alternatively the management learns
> from the mistake. I have seen it go both ways.

My point is that a question such as which development languages a
company will use to create products and sometimes even run the business
is too strategic to be decided by consultants or committees.

The classroom role of the consultant in this process includes informing
and advising mgmt, and indeed they will do that, but in the better
companies, the ones founded and guided by 'visionary types', the
'guiding lights' for these companies already know which languages and
tools the company is going to use. If they don't, they're incompetent
and don't belong leading the company.

In actual practice, the consultant is just as often chosen to beef up
and sell the bosses pre-determined point of view. And then, if the
recommendations should ultimately fail, take the blame (with a golden
parachute, of course). In between are all the politics and negotiations
with people that will use or be affected by the system. So the
consultant does play a role, but necessarily in harmony with the bosses
direction.

Put it this way: I bet my company on my decisions, and there is no way
whatsoever that I would call upon a consultant or committee to help me
decide which languages to create products with. It wouldn't - and
couldn't - work that way.

> >> Perhaps what is really being asked is "what is the best general
> >> purpose database product for  future investment?"<<
>
> Totally different question for a totally different perspective.

But it is high on the list of considerations with something as important
as a language decision, where hundreds of thousands and even millions of
dollars are involved.

Bill