Gamers are a special breed, and to them the holy grail is the fastest
computer.  Gamers don't mind spending big bucks for even small increases
in spread, even though it makes each additional small increment in
speed/power more and more expensive.

I think VMware will degrade performance on the guest OS about 10%, and
many of the newer VM(s), such as Redhat's Zen claim to be much faster
than VMware.

Having a monstrous amount of memory on a desktop computer, even one
running many VM(s) really isn't necessary.  The VM(s) not being used can
be put to sleep, so they are not using lots of memory.  For a desktop
computer, I think 8G or 16G would be fine, and I think it would a big
mistake for Microsoft to up the memory requirements for it Vista and
future OS(s).  At least for me, as the OS requirement for more and more
memory increases, the OS's attractiveness to me decreases and decreases.

 Someone mentioned a motherboard that supported 64G of memory LOL, which
seem a little much for a desktop computer.  Heck, Ive run complete OS(s)
including all the applications and data on a lot less space than that,
so unless Microsoft or someone else decide to hold the entire OS in a
RAM disk or in a solid state HD, I don't see the advantage to lots of
memory, especially given that huge amounts of data can be accessed in a
database like PostgreSQL, MySQL, MSSQL, DB2, etc almost
instantaneously.  Manipulating data can also be handled plenty fast on a
HD, like a bubble sort, etc, so huge amount of memory isn't needed for
that.  The same goes for arrays, which can be put into a database for
manipulation, etc.  Also, todays hardware is very capable of  managing
memory and grabbing files as needed and then doing garbage collection to
clean-up and free memory as needed.  However, if I were running servers
like alike VMware's enterprise, PostgreSQL, and busy web server, then
lots of system memory makes sense.

For gamers the action all takes place on the video card, (eg GUP), so
they just add additional video cards to increase processing power and
memory.  Still, even gamers don't need huge amounts of memory as the
graphics are switch out from the HD.

Regards,

LelandJ