Bill Arnold wrote:
> Leland,
>
> I can't speak knowledgably about gaming because I have no experience in
> that area, but these loosely related thoughts came to mind, so ...
>
> When I heard of the $10/gb RAM purchase last week, I thought "that's
> just amazing", and given the history of hardware trajectories, we may
> well see that price drop even lower.
Yes, this is definitely good to see computer memory so cheep.  There is
a down side to this I fear, though.  The 32 bit software and Os(s) would
only address 4G memory max, because that is the biggest integer possible
in a 32 bit binary system.  The 64 bit processor can address
exponentially greater amounts of memory, because the number set in a
binary system that uses 64 bits integer will go up to
18,446,744,073,709,551,615, (eg the top register of memory).

If history holds true developers, companies that provide OS(s), and
software applications will find some way to use every bit of that
memory.  Once applications and OS are ported to 64 bit languages, the
system requirements to run everyday software is likely to require
significant greater amounts of memory than is used today, causing
further disruption and turnover of software and the computers required
to run the software.

> Another thought is that this really paves the way for VM as a staple for
> anyone with any use at all for it, including VFP applications if/when MS
> ever does make a move to break it, all other options aside. This is
> particularly exciting because, in effect, it gives VFP applications
> "immortality". All we need to do is install a compatible OS along with
> our application. If MS should break VFP at some point, and we're left
> with the choice of going out of business or  installing an older version
> of Windows under VM to stay alive ... [to be continued]

This is dependent upon the hardware manufacturer providing memory, CPUs,
and other hardware that maintains compatibility with applications that
are 16 bit, or like VFP, that are 32 bit.  At some point the industry
may break with this backwards compatibility, and once a clients buys
into new incompatible hardware, it may require that they purchase new
specialized computers designed specifically to run in 32 bit emulation,
along with the VM and application.  This could be a very hard sell.

A better solution would to be to get VFP into the hands of a new vendor
that would port her to a standardized 64 bit instruction set, and
otherwise bring VFP up to date, like making her better suited to run
over the internet and increase the maximum table size.

> I'll also make the general comment that these advances are monumentally
> valuable to software makers, no matter the language, because with
> hardware reduced to commodity status and thus making possible more
> widespread use of computers, the number of prospective customers rises
> at the same time that the action shifts from hardware to software.
OK

> And on that note, it's the software that we've been given time to
> develop right that will be ahead of the competition. It's very hard to
> invest the time to get it right when we're stuck in the re-write loop.
> Isn't it far better to spend time polishing and adding features then
> re-writing?

Things could be worse,  You could have jumped to VS and invested tons of
time and energy porting VFP to net, just to have Microsoft bring in or
change things enough that you would need to begin porting VS app because
of Microsoft historic churn.  LOL
> ---
>
> On OS bloat, OS makers have a powerful need to be organized,
> consequently they'll manage bloat of their own volition. Bloat due to
> the baggage of backwards compatibility is, well, worth the relatively
> small price.

With 8 bit, 16 bit, and 32 bit software, memory was limited requiring
the OS manage it very carefully.  The day may be coming when programmers
would have virtually unlimited amounts of memory in which to work, so
I'll let your imagination fill in the blank on the possibilities and
changes that might occur in the way applications are structured and how
they might use the additional memory.

> Worth mention, when an OS or an application 'goes to sleep', it's pages
> are subject to the paging subsystem to free up physical memory if
> needed. This kind of physical I/O is not the same as reading a disk
> device to bring in a program or data because everything about paging is
> highly optimized.

OK

Regards,

LelandJ