On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 8:34 AM, Rick Schummer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> I'm totally in agreement that a fair percentage of Vista-haters only hate
>>> it because they read on
> a load of forums and blogs that they should hate it.<<
>
> Me too. I also believe that most Vista problems come from upgrading
> underpowered hardware. I know,
> my world is not a scientific sample, but it is absolutely word-of-mouth
> anti-marketing that keeps
> some people from trying it. That is how the world works these days. You get
> the buzz around the
> product and it succeeds (iPhone for example). You get some bad press and you
> ensure a dud (Vista).
>
> Microsoft has delivered duds in the past (DOS 4, Windows ME) and they have
> bounced back. I am
> expecting the same thing for Windows 7.
>
> The issue should be whether it makes business sense to revamp the entire
> business infrastructure. If
> a company migrates to Vista they have to upgrade plenty of software and
> probably do some training.
> Not as much as moving to Linux or Mac, but more than XP. If they continue
> with the very solid XP,
> they don't have to incur the extra expenses of training, but it costs the
> company an extra $99 to
> downgrade to XP. Business can keep focused on business.

I find that the biggest problem that a lot of people seem to have
experienced is driver malfunction(s ) where it use to work on XP but
doensn't now.

Other BIG issue is that it is a whole new GUI and stuff is categorized
differently, or hidden, or secured and now that gets in the way, or
????  That comes from a lot of brilliant power users at my employer.
They got so miffed when adding windows components was different
(adding IIS to a base box) .  Multi displays on laptops was another
STICKING point for them.  they could not plug into a projector and get
the thing to work.  It took new drivers from Dell a few times over to
get it straight.

Is M$ making a point that the version of display that we were familiar
with over the past decade needed an update as well?  Just as people
got pissy with 95 when it was different then 3.11.  As the web has
gone 2.0, should the desktop also progress?

YMMV  I have yet to be switched over to Vista.  But that diff was just
brought up this week.  Only time will tell???

--
Stephen Russell
Sr. Production Systems Programmer

901.246-0159