>> Who's to blame for sticking that bad rep on M$?  Is it Mac with those
hilarious commercials, or perhaps the grassroots Linux folks, or the
little green men?  <g><<

Not sure there is any one person/entity you can point to, or if it is even
necessary. Microsoft
upper management made mistakes, Microsoft devs made mistakes, Microsoft PMs
made mistakes, Microsoft
marketing blew the ads, the press spread facts *and* FUD, bloggers the same.
Apple ads are hilarious
and enjoyable to watch, but I would like to see hard statistics where CIOs and
IT Managers are
influenced by the ad to make an about face on the infrastructure direction.
Sure they might get one
and start seeing if it can make a difference. It might make them think about
the next big decision.
But is it going to make them hate Vista, I doubt it. There are many other
reasons they will shy away
from Vista. Linux grassroots are probably too insignificant to make a big
difference at this point.
Maybe undeserved at this point, but most people I talk to still think Linux is
too confusing and too
hard for mainstream deployment. An OS for geeks. <shrug>

The point is, lots of people are being sheep in this case. On the flip side, I
bet lots of people
lined up for an iPhone because they heard it was cool, not because they can
benefit from the
features and functionality. Apple was smart in herding in the sheep.

Rick
White Light Computing, Inc.

www.whitelightcomputing.com
www.swfox.net