From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Leland F. Jackson, CPA
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2008 11:19 PM
To: ProFox Email List
Subject: Re: [NF] No digital TV signal?

The electromagnetic field contains ranges of energy, (eg waves or
frequencies), with various ranges suited to different kinds of energy.
For example radio, microwaves, lasers beams, TV signals, etc all exist
within their own electromagnetic frequencies or ranges.

The switch to digital TV in part is to free up a range of
electromagnetic fields previously used for analog TV, so it can be
dedicated for use by the government, for example by agencies like
Homeland Security during an emergency.   The government also has sold
some of the analog frequencies of the private sector.  Also, the switch
to digital TV has to do with improved TV quality for consumers.

A High Definition Television, (eg HDTV), is the product being sold, and
a digital signal is used to deliver the picture/sound.

An example of a analog system is the use of a modem to modulate and
demodulate sound over an electric wire.  This is an analog system,
because it requires the communications to be modulated and demodulated
using sounds, much like people talking on the phone.  The numbers and
letters of the alphabet that are represented by a string of 8 bits of 1s
and 0s, or ons or offs, etc are carried over the wires between two
computers via sounds.

In a digital system, the 1s and 0s, or ons and offs, do not have to be
modulated and demodulated into an analog signal.  The 1 and 0, or the
ons and offs exist in a pure energy state and are transmitted through
space, like between two microwave towers or via pure light over fiber
optic cables.

The new HDTV are designed to work with a digital signal, but during the
transition to digital TV, all newer HDTVs come with a tuner that allows
the HDTV to show an analog channel.  I suppose the tuner will become
irrelevant after Feb 19, 2009 for anyone with a HDTV, as all TV will be
delivered via a digital signal, so anyone that still has an analog TV
will need a tuner to change the digital signal into an analog one.

Regards,

LelandJ

Pete Theisen wrote:
> Stephen Russell wrote:

>>> No. The bowtie/halo part of the antenna should get the digital signal
>>> that's broadcast on UHF. It's an all-or-nothing proposition, though.
>>> Weak signals that came in poorly in analog won't come in at all
>>> digitally.
>>>
>> -------------------------------
>>
>> Well it is all on the location of the towers.  If the new digital ones
>> are closer it will be better.  My dad found that the digital reception
>> was much better than the traditional because the digital towers were
>> close to his house and the old ones were on the other side of town.
>> Roswell NM.
>>

> Hi Stephen!
>
> I think the same tower will host the digital signal. Florida companies
> are too cheap to do anything else.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---