From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Leland F. Jackson, CPA
Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2008 1:01 AM
To: ProFox Email List
Subject: Re: [NF] No digital TV signal?

The below article give a definition of HDTV signal, (eg digital signal),
and how a digital signal can be used to carry more data over a given
microwave frequency bandwidth.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/framed.htm?parent=dtv.htm&url=http://www.pbs.or
g/opb/crashcourse/digital_v_analog/
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/dtv6.htm

Regards,

LelandJ

Leland F. Jackson, CPA wrote:
> Yes, Nucomm has a patent for digital transmission over microwave analog,
> if that's what your talking about.  I'm not qualified to discuss the
> technicalities of how a digital signal is transmitted,  whether from the
> broadcast studio to the microwave tower, or from the microwave tower to
> the TV antenna, or from the TV antenna to the HDTV, or from microwave
> tower to microwave tower, etc.  There seem to be a lot of R&D in this
> area, so things can change in a hurry.  <g>
>
> It does seem that a digital signal is the future for TV, and a high
> definition TV is designed to work natively with a digital signal, so I
> would look closely at the long term cost to purchase a new High
> Definition TV, as opposed tot he long term cost of retrofitting an
> analog TV with a tuner box to convert the digital signal to analog.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave
> http://www.cnet.com/1990-7874_1-5108854-1.html
> http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/7359450/description.html

http://blog.digitalcontentproducer.com/briefingroom/2008/05/21/nucomm-wins-p
atent-for-its-cost-effective-digital-transmission-over-microwave-analog-link
-concept/

> Regards,
>
> LelandJ
>

> Jim Felton wrote:
>
>> Leland, the only frequencies being free up are channels 51 to 88.  The
>> digital transmitters are assigned the current frequencies from channel 2
>> 50.  Not all Analog TV goes Black or off air on Feb 17th, Low power TV
>> Stations can continue to transmit for at least 2 years past that date.
The
>> FCC has not pasted the ruling yet.  Come on up to Northern NY and I'll
get
>> out the frequency analyzer and show what an 8VSB "digital signal" really
>> analog signal looks like. Believe me it's an analog FM signal with phase
>> encoding in the signal and its still 6 MHz wide, just like analog TV.  At
>> the station we tell are transmitter engineer he has a High Power
Amplifier
>> with the Random Bit Generator option, when the transmitter gets out of
>> alignment and subcarriers don't sync up.
>>
>> Jim

Behalf