13 inch label?   They make labels that wide?

Thermal transfer can be a pain in the ass.  There is a ribbon that sandwiches
on a label.  The ribbon is melted onto the label.  The ribbon can become
wrinkled which makes the labels look terrible.

The only reason we used a bar code machine was to get permanent labels that
would not peel off of equipment.