I would not worry too much about "the J way of thinking" -- J is a
tools, but it's not the only tool.

Setting aside a bit of time -- maybe half an hour a day, several days
a week -- is good for picking up the skills involved with using a
tool. In the context of J that would be time spent working through
some of the J labs, and maybe tackling some small interesting and/or
fun seeming projects.

But once you understand the concepts, they'll seem simple and
ordinary. So it's not worth waiting for some "magic moment".

Instead, focus on your interests, see if you can make J useful there,
and talk about your issues if that seems fruitful.

Good luck,

--
Raul