I updated plot to 1.0.19 and you have corrected all the errors I found.
  The appearance is very much improved.

I hesitate to mention the following because it is so "picky" as we say
in Texas:

In plotdemos 34 you could consider centering the column and row titles
col 1 col 2 ... row2 row3 relative to the rectangles enclosing the plots
instead of relative to those rectangles plus their x- and y-axis labels.
  I think the appearance would be improved if the row and column labels
were centered relative to the rectangles enclosing the plots.

For example

      |       |
      5       6
        col 1