Hello Samuele,

> Dear Ferran, Alexander,
>
> I will try to explain you how Invenio is evolving and let's see if my
> understanding is correct, and if this will satisfy your MARC needs
> (Tibor, Esteban, please correct me anytime I am wrong).

Sorry, I disagree about the expression «your MARC needs».  I think that
the correct expression should be to change it to «Marc21 compliance».
Marc21 is a common agreement among a large, world-wide library
community.  UAB is a tiny, tiny fraction of this communitity, and UAB
choose to change to CATMARC to Marc21 some years ago, with all Catalan
libraries because we were following a general, world-wide movement to a
global standard, it was a strategic decission.  We could perfectly
disappear and the Marc21 community wouldn't notice at all.  We don't
have any special needs.  Marc21 allows for local fields and/or subfields
and we find some uses for it.

[...]
> Take a look at:
> <https://github.com/inveniosoftware/invenio-demosite/blob/pu/invenio_demosite/recordext/fields/atlantis.cfg>
>
> this is the default BibField configuration of "Atlantis Demo
> Site". Note: this is not the default of Invenio, just Atlantis. And in
> Invenio core? Well no configuration is enforced there. It's up to
> you. You can start off Atlantis configuration and encode the whole
> MARC21 (or the part of MARC21 that you need), and Invenio will speak
> MARC21.

I still remember my first Invenio installation, back when it was called
CDSware.  I still remember the confusion to try a large and complex
piece of software (and then, it wasn't so large as it is now) that I
didn't fully understand.  I have helped some other local institutions
interested in trying Invenio, and I have seen that they are as confused
as I was.

What you call «Atlantis Demo Site» is the basis of those prospective new
Invenio users.  This is what they install and this is what they hope to
work.  My opinion is that you cannot expect prospective new Invenio
users to fiddle with Jinja2 templates just to make a 245 title with
indicators to appear as title, to be indexed as title and to be exported
in whatever format as title.  The default values (what you call
«Atlantis Demo Site») should comply with Marc21 as much as possible.  If
it doesn't, the barriers for newcomers to adopt Invenio are (a)
unnecessarily difficult to overcome and (b) you are asking each of them
to repeat the same exercice just to load a few records and to see the
result.

If you just correct the current, sub-standard records in your Atlantis
Demo Site to a more realistic ones, and make the default configuration
recognize them, the goal will be accomplished.  I sincerely think that
it is not difficult.  It is just that you are interested to make the
Invenio community grow.

Are you?

If there is some magical parameter to change it to something else like
Unimarc, the better.  But it should be easy, trivial and clear.  Please
help newcomers, or Invenio will always be something small, exotic and
marginal in the digital libraries and repositories landscape.

Best regards,

Ferran