The app as a whole is complicated, but what is driving the effects
isnt.
It's simply html with a plain old link:

<a [...] onmouseover="attractAttention
('pb_user_mylocs_button');">link</a>

and the attractAttention function is a one-liner:

function attractAttention(obj){
        new Effect.Pulsate(obj, { pulses: 3, duration: 1});
}

Apart from the "Click a Location Marker" link, which also moves the
map etc.

Basically, for a demo, rollover just the last link (My Locations)
repeatedly.
As I said, that effectively executes one line:
new Effect.Pulsate($('pb_user_mylocs_button'), { pulses: 3, duration:
1});

It's clearly not my code. If you go to
http://wiki.github.com/madrobby/scriptaculous/effect-pulsate
and click the demo repeatedly, you get the same problem.