You might find it easier to set up queues if you don't use inline
code. Create an observer in the head of your page, and then you can
keep all your code in one place and integrate the effects so they are
aware of each other's existence and state.

document.observe('dom:loaded', function(){
        Element.addMethods({
                attractAttention: function(obj){
                        new Effect.Pulsate(obj, { pulses: 3, duration: 1,
queue: this.id});
        $('parentDiv').observe('mouseover',function(evt){
                var elm = evt.element();
                elm.identify(); //patch anything you didn't ID
                switch(elm.id){
                        case 'foo':
                                $('foo_target').attractAttention();
                        break;