that's  very good point, Phil.

I've been reluctant to say anything on this, but maybe another voice will
take a step closer to an action.

Recently Prototype lost one of its largest "clients" -- Magento.  Starting
with v2.0 Magento will be using jQuery.  This is a big blow to the
framework, imo (I've been doing steady Magento work for the past 2.5 years)
and nearly every single frontend person I have worked with has made jQuery
into working in Magento to get the animation effects that they want, etc.

It seems that everyone wants something more from this framework -- forking
is *always* an option -- look at Kohana -- started as a fork of Code Igniter
because CI didn't have things some people wanted.  Now look at FuelPHP -- a
fresh new php5.3 based framework based on CI, Kohana with a dash of RoR
thrown in.

If there are people with the knowledge and the desire and the experience to
say fork-it and go, I say more power to you -- just make sure you map it out
and plan strategically, and where ever possible make it somewhat backwards
compatible.

Also, if you could get away from that whole $ magic function (say put it
inside a wrapper?) -- that would make a LOT of frontend devs happy and dump
a lot of confusion and headaches for some people.

Of course just 2 cents from someone who really sucks at JS and is beyond
inactive in the community, so feel free to ignore me.