i apologize as i am on a system that can't run PT at the moment, so i am doin
this from memory. In the cursor mode cluster or whater its called where you can
trun on absolute grid mode and etc, there is another option in ther that needs
to be turned on. It's link edit mode to selection or something like that.
enable that and then using  p and ; should work for selecting adjacent tracks.
To select non adjacent tracks with a keyboard. Hide all the tracks inbetween
the tracks you want to select, then the tracks will be adjacent and you can
select them normally. For example, If you want to select tracks 3, 6, and 10.
Select tracks 4 and 5, right click on them with VO+Shift+M and select hide. Do
the same for tracks 7,8, and 9, and then tracks 3, 6, and 10 will  now be
adjacent. Unfortunately there isn't a quicker way without a control surface, so
it may be worth it to pick up atleast one of th einexpensive one if this is a
task you foresee yourself doing a lot.