I never use direct monitoring because I like having the PT effects running
during my recording sessions. The latency isn't really that bad, it's just part
of the process. Plus, if I were to use direct monitoring, I lose out on any
panning I've done in PT to see how other tracks I'm recording are sitting with
everything else. You also miss out on the ability to tell if a track is record
enabled. I actually think that direct monitoring is a hindrance. I hired an
engineer 3 years ago who used direct monitoring and because of this, wasn't
able to pick out some major problems with what was going into pro tools until
it was too late. Let's just say it was a $4000 lesson learned.

Kevin