Hi Peter,

If you have values other than zero set for the pre and post roll, you can
audition the ranges with keyboard shortcuts. Option-Command-left arrow will
play the beginning of the selection including a pre-roll and
Option-Command-right arrow will play the end of the selection along with a post
roll. It's possible to play the pre and post roll individually using
combinations of Option or Command and either the left or right arrows.
Experiment by making a selection and using various combinations of Option-left
or right arrows and Command-left or right arrows. You'll see how it works.
HTH,

Slau