Hi Slau, many thanks. That worked and I'm nearly there with the whole process but one thing is still puzzling me, so one more, hopefully last question please:

Once the pre and post-roll values are set, I can audition just the pre-roll with option-left-arrow. This means I can set the in-point precisely. So far so good, but when I try to adjust the out-point with plus and minus, the whole selection moves rather than just the out-point as I want. I can audition the out-point with command-right-arrow, but I can't seem to set the out-point independently of the in-point. I could work around this with markers and regions but I imagine I'm just missing something basic in the process. I'm migrating from SoundForge where it was possible to switch between hearing from the cursor, or from the start of the selection, so you could easily audition the end of the selection before marking the out-point.

It's pretty hard putting this into words so I hope you get my drift, and I really do appreciate your help.

Best,

Peter
.