Eric,
http://purl.uniprot.org/uniprot/P12345 does not identify an RDF resource, it represents our concept of some protein. There just happens to be an RDF representation at http://beta.uniprot.org/uniprot/P12345.rdf. But most of the concepts we use do not (anytime soon...) have such a representation.
But returning a 200 code on "http://purl.uniprot.org/uniprot/P12345"; does not suggest the URI identifies a "concept". It suggests the resource is an electronic resource and, otherwise, it creates confusion under certain circumstances. For instance, if I want to make a comment on your web page, say good job on "http://purl.uniprot.org/uniprot/P12345";? How do people know if the "good job" is made on the work of the HTML page or on the "concept" that you intended to?

What I have done in "http://proteomicsportal.org"; is to always 303 to a resource depending on Conneg. If the request is for RDF, redirect to the RDF page else an HTML page. IMHO, I think it would be nicer and less confusing if you make "http://purl.uniprot.org/uniprot/P12345"; a skeleton and 303 redirect to either "http://purl.uniprot.org/uniprot/P12345.html"; or "http://purl.uniprot.org/uniprot/P12345.rdf"; depends on the value of Accept header.

That's my two cents.

Xiaoshu