Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

On Feb 12, 2008, at 3:58 PM, Kei Cheung wrote:

Hi Olivier, Alan, et al,

A prototype version of our neuroscience semantic web portal is accessible at: http://neuroweb3.med.yale.edu

Nice :)

Thanks :-) . There is still a lot of room for improvement.

Bear in mind, this is a working prototype for proof of concept and it is still under active development. The Web interface has 3 panels: search panel (on top), facet panel (below the search panel on the left) and data panel (below the search panel on the right). The user can enter a key word and select a facet and data sources (ontologies) against which the key word is searched. The search results are displayed and organized based on the selected facet. Each leaf node (neuron, neuron property, gene, or drug target (receptor)) of the facet tree can be selected for retrieving more detailed information from each of the selected data sources. Currently, we have implemented 4 facets: neuron (default), neuron properties, gene, and drug. While the first two facets were created based on the SenseLab and CCDB ontologies, gene facet was created based on GO's molecular functions and the drug facet was created based on ChEBI.

I think MeSH can potentially be a source for creating new facets (e.g., diseases, drug actions, etc) ...

If you can supply a list of genes, you can retrieve a set of mesh terms by linking via entrez gene to pubmed, then to mesh. Same if you supply a list of pubmed ids. You can also limit to a specific branch of mesh easily enough. If that's the sort of think you had in mind, let me know and I can construct the query, or Matthias can.

Thanks for bringing this up. I have also thought about that. The only thing is that I'd like to spend a little bit time to think about how to constraint the MeSH facet tree in a meaningful context.

Also, I have a question regarding retrieval of entez gene information including gene ids, symbols, and snyonyms. Is such information available from the HCLS KB and/or RDF entrez gene dataset that Olivier's group had created?

Separate email.

For educational purposes, perhaps have an option to show the sparql queries you use to retrieve the information and offer a sparql endpoint to let people play with fiddling the queries.

Although we have everything loaded into Oracle triplestore at the moment, we have also thought about the possibility of using sparql endpoints to query other triplestores live.

I think I just got a flu, need to go offline ...

-Kei

Regards,
Alan

Cheers,