First, Émile, your performance plots are awesome! Thank you so much for taking
the time to put these together.  They will help us tremendously as we
investigate and kill off these issues.

Second, we recognized the performance drop prior to this thread and Max and
Carl had already been doing outstanding work to isolate, categorize, and
prioritize the various problems.

Third, we take these performance problems seriously and are committed to fixing
them.  Significant internal discussions have been taking place, though outside
this public forum. We are neither ignoring this problem nor giving up. If we
have appeared unresponsive, it's not because we don't think it's important, but
rather because we failed at communicating how important it truly is.  Bottom
line: Performance is critical. We will fix the problems.

Fourth, Peter, Émile, and Trevor (or anyone else experiencing the problem),
would you be willing to be pre-release testers of improvements? Our ops team is
seeing the problem too, but that's only a single real-world data point.  We
need to make sure we don't self-optimize.  We need your help to make sure the
performance fixes address *your* problems not just ours.

Fifth, thank you for keeping this issue in the spotlight. If something seems
"off," please don't just assume that's how it's supposed to be. A delightful
user experience is a core Puppet Labs value. If something doesn't work the way
you think it should then we need to make our user experience better, not beat
you into submission. We will undoubtedly make decisions that adversely affect a
small number of individuals in, hopefully, only a minor way, but performance is
not, and will not be, one of those tradeoffs.

Sixth, if you are not getting the timely response you think you should, please
feel free to publicly shame me (or anyone else at Puppet Labs) for not engaging
you.  Something like this would be awesome: "Dammit, Jeff! I thought you guys
were working on this, but I haven't seen anything in a while. Give us a build
to test already!"

-Jeff

----
Jeff Weiss