On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 9:49 AM, Andrew Parker <a...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:
> As Deepak said, we are taking a look over Brice's patches right now.
> Initially we'll target them at 3.0 and then we'll probably move on to back
> porting and tuning a bit on 2.7 after we have 3.0 stabilized. At the same
> time we have been taking a look at the catalog retrieval time problem. Based
> on the discussion that we had a while ago on this list, I think the plan of
> attack is to remove the YAML translation for the caching. I haven't seen any
> numbers for the speed improvement that we get for that yet.
>
> Daniel, you are working on the YAML caching, right? Have you had a chance to
> profile before and after the patch with a realistic setup to see what kind of
> improvement we might expect from that change?

Using JSON rather than YAML for local storage takes about one third
the time, and should be submitted shortly.  We should already use JSON
between the master and the agent.

For 2.7.x that will be an optional change: the JSON terminus will be
available, and you can configure your `routes.yaml` to prefer it to
the traditional YAML terminus.  For newer versions that might be the
default.

If folks are interested, keep an eye out for the pull request in the
next couple of hours.

--
Daniel Pittman
⎋ Puppet Labs Developer – http://puppetlabs.com