On 03/12/2014 11:23 PM, Trevor Vaughan wrote:

> package_yum
> package_gem
> etc....
>
> This would probably be pretty quick work overall and, of course,
> eliminates all of the conflict issues.
>
> But....it doesn't feel like a good solution.

I agree that the implementation you sketched is messy, but the basic
idea has actually occured to me as well when I read John's latest reply.

The assumption that the regular old system will only ever use one
provider for a given type holds true for many use cases. Package is a
notable exception insofar as it can now be used to manage things that
are not OS packages (but also gems and what have you).

IMO the source of the issues here is that a gem is fundamentally a
different kind of package than the rpm/deb/... your OS uses for native
software. (So are CPAN modules, puppet modules etcpp.)

Creating new types that explicitly name the type of package they deal
with would handle this, yes (although I would vote that yum/apt/dpkg/rpm
and friends stay in the pure "package" domain if we should ever go that
route).

It would be nice if we had a system were the compiler could infer the
subtype from the value of the provider parameter. Because really, we are
only prone to hit conflicts when non-OS packages are requested via
providers like gem/cpan/pecl/pear/forge/whatever.

The generic enhancement of the Model would allow to auto-switch to
subtypes via arbitrary rules, where going by the provider value would
likely suffice for the package type.

Regards,
Felix