Looking at the list of providers for file, on RHEL systems you'll probably
only run into conflicts with *native* (yum, rpm, up2date), pip, and gem.

I also am not opposed to this. As far as I can tell, 'package' is the only
type that doesn't follow the rules of the other types (manage one thing and
manage it well). It rolls lots of different things under the same abstract
header.

Frankly, if I have to specify provider => 'gem', that's not any more work
than specifying gem { 'name': ... } and the latter is a lot clearer in
terms of dependency maintenance.

So, +1 from me for just creating a bunch of new types.

Trevor

Trevor Vaughan
Vice President, Onyx Point, Inc
(410) 541-6699