On Thursday, March 13, 2014 8:50:19 AM UTC-5, Trevor Vaughan wrote:

> SecondaryPackage wouldn't fix it if you wanted to install using pip and
> gem on the same system.

I see I should have devoted more text to my last statement: "The trick here
would be that the provider(s) must not be based on package type, so that
the package type could be used as part of a composite name."  If the type's
name were a composite of type (gem, pip, etc.) and name within that type,
then it very well could support different package types all in one resource
type.  I suppose the individual package types could be features.  Whereas
such an approach cannot work for Package, it would be eminently workable
for a unified SecondaryPackage type.

Putting it all in one type might make it a bit easier to convert existing
manifests, and it would give users a single place to look for support for
this sort of thing.  On the other hand, the provider(s) would have to
support multiple (secondary) package types.  It's a trade-off between what
aspects must be complicated and what parts can be simple.

John