On 13 April 2016 at 14:49, 'Tim Meusel' via Puppet Developers
<puppet-dev@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 13. April 2016 02:15:57 UTC+2 schrieb Rob Nelson:
>>

>>> I'd also be remiss not to point out we've got way more scope to have
>>> advanced talks at PuppetConf in the US and the CFP is open.....
>>> http://2016.puppetconf.com/cfp-registration/
>>

>> Speaking to the advanced realm, is there any possibility of slots longer
>> than 45 minutes? Even an extra 10 minutes could make a huge difference. Or
>> maybe some workshops, even if small in size?

As a (some would say too) regular speaker, I would say there is a big
difference in the amount of work required putting together a 40 minute
talk vs an hour talk. This really raises the barrier to entry for
first time or inexperienced speakers in my experience. And Puppet Camp
(I hope) does a reasonable job of encouraging people new to speaking.

I've also rarely seen a 60 minute talk that wouldn't have been
improved by being shorter. That's definitely personal opinion (albeit
from too many events) and as a native english speaker. Longer
workshops are also really hard to do well too.

Personally, I'd also like to see more advanced content. But since
joining Puppet Labs I've not seen that many advanced submissions to
the Puppet Camps I've helped out with. Although I appreciate that's a
chicken and egg situation to a certain extend. Do people not submit?
Or what particular topics would you like to see in the bracket?

Gareth

> That would be really cool. Most other conferences here handle it like this:
> 45 or 60min talk -> 15min Q&A -> 15min break to change room (if there are
> several parallel tracks). The speaker can decide if he wants the QA or take
> that time as an extra 15min for the talk.  45min slots are really short if
> you've a complex topic that needs a longer introduction :(
>
>> --
>>
>> Rob Nelson
>> rnel...@gmail.com

Gareth Rushgrove