On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 12:39 PM, R.I.Pienaar <r...@devco.net> wrote:
> hello,
>
> ----- "Michael DeHaan" <mich...@reductivelabs.com> wrote:
>
>> > I've written an application, which aims to solve all of the missing
>> peaces
>> > around puppet - http://theforeman.org
>>
>> Ohad, as you've said "I've written an application, which aims to
>> solve all of the missing peaces around puppet".   Obviously you've done a
>> lot of work here, but I need to communicate something from a
>> community perspective -- the proper place to fix missing pieces in Puppet is
>> by
>> contributing to Puppet -- our vision is to have no such "missing
>> pieces".   Hence things done outside of core tend to fragment the
>> userbase and make things harder to install/use/manage/maintain.   The
>> future of this workflow tool is going to be Puppet's Dashboard.
>> Where there are barriers to doing this, we will remove them.
>
> As a non affiliated community member who spend a lot of my time on Puppet I
> think this is a particularly unfriendly and in fact alarming statement for
> someone from RL to make.

Not in the least; we welcome all contributions... and we want to
encourage folks here to contribute to the core.

The statement "this is broken, go use my tool" is less interesting
than "let's all come together and work and build better software".
This is how OSS really works best ... joining together as one.

If you take a look at my experience with Cobbler and Func, enabling
external integration (see OpenSymbolic for a fine example) was
something I am very much in favor of doing.

However, I'm also very much interested in raising contributions to
Puppet proper -- which we can do much better at.  We do that by
encouraging everyone to work together.   We don't do this by saying
"Puppet is broke, go use this"... that is a mindset we need to shift.
 This is where OSS really shines.

Right now we have about 80 or so committers to the core.    For a
project of this size, I'd like it to be much larger.  This is one of
the things we want to enable.

We also want to make it clear that Dashboard is our future, and we
welcome contributions there and will be better positioned to help keep
that and Puppet working better in sync.

--Michael