On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 10:06 AM, Nigel Kersten <nig...@google.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 9:58 AM, Douglas Garstang
> <doug.garst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> We have puppet 0.24.8 running on multiple EIGHT core 3.16Ghz servers
>> with 32Gb of RAM, and in each case puppet is taking longer and longer
>> to run, as we have it control more. Currently it's taking up to 20
>> minutes to perform a run.
>>
>> What approaches can I take to significantly reduce the time it takes
>> puppet to run? It's ALSO sucking up an inordinate amount of CPU while
>> it performs a run. The server is using passenger.
>
> What Ruby version are you running ?
> Do you have storeconfigs on?
> How have you configured passenger?

Ruby version, on client and server is:
ruby 1.8.5 (2006-08-25) [x86_64-linux]

We aren't using storeconfigs... I think the idea of putting puppet
config in a db stupid, because you lose your ability to revision
control your changes.

I configured passenger as per:
http://reductivelabs.com/trac/puppet/wiki/UsingPassenger

> Upgrading to 0.25.4 on your server and clients will improve file
> transfers, and significantly reduce memory consumption, but CPU usage
> will still be high in my experience.

Until I know for sure that 0.25.4 will fix the performance problems,
given that I've had all sorts of problems with 0.25.x in the past (as
it relates to SSL keys), I really don't want to do that. I can't take
that risk.