On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 10:19 AM, Douglas Garstang
<doug.garst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 10:06 AM, Nigel Kersten <nig...@google.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 9:58 AM, Douglas Garstang
>> <doug.garst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> We have puppet 0.24.8 running on multiple EIGHT core 3.16Ghz servers
>>> with 32Gb of RAM, and in each case puppet is taking longer and longer
>>> to run, as we have it control more. Currently it's taking up to 20
>>> minutes to perform a run.
>>>
>>> What approaches can I take to significantly reduce the time it takes
>>> puppet to run? It's ALSO sucking up an inordinate amount of CPU while
>>> it performs a run. The server is using passenger.
>>
>> What Ruby version are you running ?
>> Do you have storeconfigs on?
>> How have you configured passenger?
>
> Ruby version, on client and server is:
> ruby 1.8.5 (2006-08-25) [x86_64-linux]

You should see significant improvements if you move to a more recent Ruby stack.

A simple test is http://www.rubyenterpriseedition.com as you can
install to /opt and not interfere with your current stack or have to
work on packaging while you just evaluate it.

I have it all packaged for debian now, but I used to simply symlink
puppet/facter etc from the normal ruby lib into the Ruby EE one.

> We aren't using storeconfigs... I think the idea of putting puppet
> config in a db stupid, because you lose your ability to revision
> control your changes.

That's not all it can do, but that's somewhat irrelevant.

> I configured passenger as per:
> http://reductivelabs.com/trac/puppet/wiki/UsingPassenger

I have this config for 4 VCPUs and 4GB RAM:

<IfModule mod_passenger.c>
  PassengerMaxRequests 5500
  PassengerPoolIdleTime 600
  PassengerMaxPoolSize 10
  PassengerStatThrottleRate 600
</IfModule>

MaxRequests isn't so necessary with 0.25, but definitely stops memory leaks.

what do your machines look like when they're busy? Are all cores maxed
out? uptime/load stats? memory consumption?

>> Upgrading to 0.25.4 on your server and clients will improve file
>> transfers, and significantly reduce memory consumption, but CPU usage
>> will still be high in my experience.
>
> Until I know for sure that 0.25.4 will fix the performance problems,
> given that I've had all sorts of problems with 0.25.x in the past (as
> it relates to SSL keys), I really don't want to do that. I can't take
> that risk.

No-one knows for sure whether 0.25.4 will fix your specific issues.
You don't have a development environment you can test on?

nigel