On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 1:34 PM, Douglas Garstang
<doug.garst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Brice Figureau
> <brice-pup...@daysofwonder.com> wrote:
>> On 10/03/10 22:06, Douglas Garstang wrote:
>>> So, it became apparent to me, after emailing someone off list, that
>>> managing a lot of files in deep directory structures might be part of
>>> the cause.
>>>
>>> We are running 10 instances of JBOSS and 10 instances of tomcat on
>>> each of these servers. Don't ask me why, it's just the way it was done
>>> before I arrived and changing it is not trivial.
>>>
>>> On disk, each instance of JBOSS starts at
>>> /opt/jboss/current/server/tfelN (where N is the instance number)
>>>
>>> and each instance of tomcat starts at:
>>> /opt/tomcat/tfelN/starterkit/current (where N is the instance number)
>>
>> Do you source the whole hierarchy?
>> Or do you only manage it?
>>
>>> I manually looked through the puppet config and counted 25 unique
>>> files that are being managed for jboss and tomcat within these paths.
>>> If you do the math, 25 x 10 x 2 = 500. That's therefore (currently)
>>> 500 unique files that are being managed in these deep directory
>>> structures. Could that potentially be the reason behind puppets crap
>>> performance?
>>
>> What do you manage for those files?
>> But no, 500 doesn't seem like a high number to me.
>>
>> You mentioned in another e-mail in this thread that the problem is more
>> the 20 minutes run than the CPU.
>> Could it be possible you have many "slow" execs?
>> Or you manage many packages?
>>
>> This also reminds me Ohad's bug:
>> http://projects.reductivelabs.com/issues/1719
>>
>> At this stage you should probably run puppetd on the console in --debug
>> to see what happens (and run with --summarize too) and if it stalls.
>
> I just ran puppet in debug mode and it was obvious that most of the
> puppet run time was spent in checksumming files.
>
> Eg:
>
> debug:
> //Node[app01.fr.xxx.com]/Jboss::Instance[tfel8]/File[/opt/jboss/current/server/tfel8/conf/jboss.web/localhost/rewrite.properties]:
> Creating checksum {md5}f5d16bcc20b92631eb59514018fd34e5
>
> ... takes a long time to run. Multiple that by several hundred files...
>
> However, when I run this on the command line:
> md5sum
> /opt/jboss/current/server/tfel8/conf/jboss.web/localhost/rewrite.properties
>
> ... the result is instananeous... So... is puppet using a ruby library
> for performing md5 checksums? Is that where the performance bottle
> neck could be?
>
> Doug

Also...

I just grabbed an example online of performing an md5 checksum on a
file in ruby.
Ran it on the same file above.
Result was instananeous... the question remains... what is puppet doing???

Doug