On Dec 6, 5:21 pm, Stefan Schulte <stefan.schu...@taunusstein.net>
wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 01:54:40PM -0800, jcbollinger wrote:
> > Try changing the URL to this:
>
> > puppet:///bash/bash_profile
>
> > That is, drop the "modules" part of the path.
>
> Are you sure? IIRC this is
> deprecatedhttp://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/file_serving.html
> says that modules has to be in the path
>
> lib/puppet/file_serving/configuration.rb:44 has a deprecation warning
> if you do not put modules in your source

I'm sure that it works for me, albeit on 0.24.8.  I'm also sure that
it's the form documented with the File type:

class sendmail {
    file { "/etc/mail/sendmail.cf":
        source =. "puppet://<server>/<module>/sendmail.cf"

(See http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/types/file.html.  I have taken
the liberty of marking up the <server> and <module> portions of the
URL to emphasize that they are not to be taken as literals.)

It's possible that that form has been deprecated, but it would be a
shame if that were so, as that makes a lot more sense then having to
put some arbitrary portion of the server's path _to the module_ into
the URL.  The server doesn't need help finding the module.

Moreover, I think the documentation is a better place to start than
the code.  Sure, it's great to have the code available if you need it,
but anything you discover in the code can change without notice in a
later version if it is not backed up by documentation.

Besides, changing the URL should be pretty quick and easy to try.

John