On Dec 15, 2010, at 3:09 AM, Felix Frank wrote:

> On 12/15/2010 12:04 PM, Patrick wrote:
>> I'm looking for a way to run more than one puppetmaster on the same server
>> under passenger.  Most of the puppet CPU load is waiting for the catalogs to
>> compile.  This also seems to be mostly what takes large amounts of RAM.  I
>> have storedconfigs on.
>>
>> I want to be able to move the fileserver to a different pool of puppetmaster
>> processes.  Is there an easy way to tell the client, either in the catalog
>> or in the config file, to get the files from a different port than the
>> catalog?
>>
>> Is there a better way to do this?  What I really want is for the cheap file
>> requests to stop being blocked by the expensive catalog requests and keep
>> the RAM usage low on the file serving processes.
>>

> Hi,
>
> what springs to mind is a webserver with mod_proxy up front (or in fact,
> any intelligent reverse proxy), that chooses your actual webserver with
> respect to request URIs.
>
> Fileserver requests do go to a different root directory, yes?

Technically, I decided to just pass the catalog requests through instead.
Catalog requests are sent to "/production/catalog/" so it should be easy to do.

Do you have any advice for me before I try separating the proxy into a
different (third) VirtualServer?

I setup a second server on 8141 and I can send puppet requests to that server
just fine too.

Then I added these lines in my VirtualHost block:
        ProxyPass /production/catalog/
https://localhost:8141/production/catalog/
        ProxyPassReverse /production/catalog/
https://localhost:8141/production/catalog/

They don't seem to have any effect though.

I can see the log entries like this one (I chopped off 3 pages of facts) which
shows the URL:
Simba.Outer:8140 192.168.2.252 - - [15/Dec/2010:10:21:07 -0800] "GET
/production/catalog/simba.outer?facts=eNp1 HTTP/1.1" 200 95433 "-" "-"

My config file for the primary virtual server is here:
http://pastie.org/1380225

In summery, both servers work, but no redirection is taking place.