On Dec 15, 2010, at 1:48 PM, Brice Figureau wrote:

> On 15/12/10 12:04, Patrick wrote:
>> I'm looking for a way to run more than one puppetmaster on the same
>> server under passenger.  Most of the puppet CPU load is waiting for
>> the catalogs to compile.  This also seems to be mostly what takes
>> large amounts of RAM.  I have storedconfigs on.
>
> If you don't need the full storedconfigs, you can use thin_storedconfigs
> for waaaay better performance.

Thanks.  I'm actually doing that, and misspoke in the first post.

>> Is there a better way to do this?  What I really want is for the
>> cheap file requests to stop being blocked by the expensive catalog
>> requests and keep the RAM usage low on the file serving processes.
>
> You can use what I called file serving offloading:
> http://www.masterzen.fr/2010/03/21/more-puppet-offloading/

The file offloading is interesting.  So if I'm reading that right, that only
makes a difference if some of the files are not in sync?

My original error was that I didn't set:
SSLProxyEngine on

Now I'm just getting errors that say all requests are forbidden.  I assume this
is because the puppetmaster isn't seeing the headers from apache that have the
SSL information.