On 15/12/10 12:04, Patrick wrote:
> I'm looking for a way to run more than one puppetmaster on the same
> server under passenger.  Most of the puppet CPU load is waiting for
> the catalogs to compile.  This also seems to be mostly what takes
> large amounts of RAM.  I have storedconfigs on.

If you don't need the full storedconfigs, you can use thin_storedconfigs
for waaaay better performance.

> I want to be able to move the fileserver to a different pool of
> puppetmaster processes.  Is there an easy way to tell the client,
> either in the catalog or in the config file, to get the files from a
> different port than the catalog?

In every puppet:// url you can specify a different server. You can
dedicate some masters to serve files only and others to server catalogs.

> Is there a better way to do this?  What I really want is for the
> cheap file requests to stop being blocked by the expensive catalog
> requests and keep the RAM usage low on the file serving processes.

You can use what I called file serving offloading:
http://www.masterzen.fr/2010/03/21/more-puppet-offloading/

--
Brice Figureau
My Blog: http://www.masterzen.fr/