On Mar 24, 6:33 am, stefanero <stefan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I need to adjust the runinterval for example, because 30min is way to
> often when you change something once a month.

Naturally you do need to choose a run interval that is appropriate for
your situation.  Do remember, however, that Puppet is about more than
pushing out intentional configuration changes.  It is also about
*maintaining* your systems' configurations in the state you have
declared, in the face of possible alterations arising from other
sources.  It is also about monitoring, if you so choose.

None of that makes 30 minutes any kind of magic interval, but I do
encourage you to take the whole picture into account when you choose
an interval.

> Therefor I would have to update the puppet.conf file , and then give
> the client a restart to take its new config.
>
> Well I did another test,
> took out puppet.conf from the service definition, and changed
> puppet.conf.
> The client received an update, but it did not "restart" itself, so the
> old configuration was still active. So the client did not check if its
> config changed or not.
>
> Of course I could write a little script, to check when the puppet.conf
> changed and restart the puppet agent.
> But this seams to me just a workaround :-/
>
> maybe someone knows a way to accomplish this.

Some people trigger regular puppetd runs via cron instead of running
puppetd in daemon mode.  I think most choose that route for other
reasons, but it certainly avoids problems with puppetd recognizing
changes to its own configuration.

John