We are moving to have our nagios servers generate their nagios configs based
on what services are installed on specific hosts (as well as the hosts
registering themselves).  What we have found is that our runtimes have gone
through the roof on this and I'm trying to figure out why (summary below
from a puppet run).  The config pull takes a while, but the majority of the
time is spent on the client side.  Running puppet with -d has a large chunk
of this time with nothing being updated on the screen and one processor core
being pegged.  We're running 2.6.9 on SL6.0 x86_64.

I'm not sure if I have an unreasonable number of resources and I need to do
things differently or if I have a problem on my client I need to address.
 Any insight or direction to go down to continue debugging?

(Ignore the errors, side effect of this being a test build on a test
machine)
# time puppets -td
…..
debug: file_metadata supports formats: b64_zlib_yaml marshal pson raw yaml;
using pson
[stall for a long time]
debug: file_metadata supports formats: b64_zlib_yaml marshal pson raw yaml;
using pson
….
notice: Finished catalog run in 1094.09 seconds
Changes:
            Total: 2
Events:
          Success: 2