Hi,

On 11-09-12 04:43 PM, Justin Lambert wrote:
> We are moving to have our nagios servers generate their nagios configs
> based on what services are installed on specific hosts (as well as the
> hosts registering themselves).  What we have found is that our runtimes
> have gone through the roof on this and I'm trying to figure out why
> (summary below from a puppet run).  The config pull takes a while, but
> the majority of the time is spent on the client side.  Running puppet
> with -d has a large chunk of this time with nothing being updated on the
> screen and one processor core being pegged.  We're running 2.6.9 on
> SL6.0 x86_64.

What db backend are you using for stored configs?

If you're using the sqlite3 backend, I'd recommend switching to mysql or
postgresql. The sqlite3 backend is mainly there for easing puppet dev,
but it's way too slow for production use..

> I'm not sure if I have an unreasonable number of resources and I need to
> do things differently or if I have a problem on my client I need to
> address.  Any insight or direction to go down to continue debugging?

Normally the client run time shouldn't change much with or without
exporting nagios resources, except on the Nagios server (the one
extracting the puppet resources).

In my experience, exporting native Nagios resources on Nagios clients
and collecting them on the Nagios server doesn't seem to be scaling very
well. But still, it's usable with around 100 hosts and 500 services..

--
Gabriel Filion