On Friday, April 27, 2012 8:28:32 AM UTC-7, Luke Bigum wrote:

> What problem are you trying to solve that you think you need Puppet? The
> recommended Puppet way would be to package your binaries and use Puppet
> to enforce new versions of the package. You said your Admins are used to
> just getting on the rdist master, make changes and then practically an
> rsync? If that's the way you work and the way you want to continue to
> work then I don't think Puppet's going to beat rdist for this use case.

I was afraid of that. Well, even if we continue doing rdisted binary
distribs,
 the additional "run if changed" hooks, I think might be better served by
puppet. yes?
 The current triggers are a bit quirky. And, we do many configs by symlinks
on individual machines, to the "standard" configs in the rdisted common
tree. I'd rather have that stuff handled by puppet configs.
There are "only" about 15 triggers, and 10-ish symlinks per machine.
For symlinks, I mean stuff like

 /etc/resolv.conf ->  /shared/path/resolv/resolv.conf-machinetype

I'd rather puppet do actual COPIES of files. That works better with solaris
patches. So I'm thinking some kind of
puppet class, that autocopies
  /shared/path/resolv/resolv.conf-machinetype    to /etc/resolv.conf
whenever the /shared/path version gets changed by rdist.
Is that going to work reliably?

Triggers do things like, "if config file target has changed, restart
demon". So, perfect puppetness there.