I installed puppetd/puppetmasterd on an OpenBSD laptop and tried the same
command:

    sudo puppet doc -m pdf -r configuration

...and I get a little further with a different error:

    creating pdf
    /tmp/puppetdoc.txt:1198: (ERROR/3) Unknown target name: "confdir"

The puppetdoc.txt file that gets generated in /tmp before actually creating
the pdf has this near line 1198:

    ### vardir

    Where Puppet stores dynamic and growing data.  The default for this
parameter
    is calculated specially, like `confdir`_.

    - *Default*: /var/puppet

Why is it so hard just to convert to pdf?  I tried on CentOS 6 and OpenBSD
5.1 ... no dice.  Is it just me? Am I missing some external package that is
causing this error?  It had previously complained about not finding the
rst2latex command, but I got past that error by downloading the docutils
package.

Anyone getting this to work without issue on CentOS 6 or OpenBSD 5.1?