Here's your problem: puppet doc is actually TWO tools, both of which have
major problems right now. You're mixing up invocations of the two. Which is
a perfectly reasonable mistake and not really your fault. Anyway, the
upshot is that you CAN'T generate PDFs from your module documentation. The
tool just has never been able to do that.

Puppet doc's two uses are:

* Module docs, for use by Puppet users -- extracts rdoc strings from
comments and metadata about your classes and defined types, and builds an
rdoc-style website. Can ONLY build a website. That's all it does.

* Puppet reference generation, for use by Puppet Labs employees -- extracts
Markdown fragments from the Puppet code around config settings (that's the
command y'all were trying to use), types and providers, functions, and some
more esoteric stuff like indirections.  Can build larger Markdown documents
and I guess it maybe used to be able to build a PDF, but if so it's been
super-busted for a WHILE, since it seems to be expecting RST input and we
switched to Markdown fragments before I even joined the company.

Obviously these are completely unrelated, and having them mixed in the same
tool is dumb. We need to separate them.

Anyway, back to the point: I recommend that you start a new thread on this
group talking about what you and your people need in terms of module
documentation formats. Ryan Coleman, the product owner for modules and the
Puppet Forge, is the person who will be figuring out our requirements for
that tool going forward, and I think he's already been doing some thinking
about it, but he could use your input and real-life use cases. What makes a
PDF of module docs a good fit for your site? What else could fit those
needs? Do you want to be able to write your comments in something other
than Rdoc format? That kind of thing.

Sorry for the downer, and for the confusing nature of the tool!

Puppet Labs docs team