The professional services team at Puppet Labs has been using that with
customers, and many customers have been happy with what that affords you.
 You effectively create a series of abstraction layers so that more junior
sysadmins can look at a 'Role' and quickly see what's on the node without
wading through a bunch of code.  This also allows more senior sysadmins to
trace the code back down through 'Profiles' and ultimately to the modules
themselves to track down errors.  It's a good pattern that lets everybody
in charge of managing nodes be able to benefit from Puppet without having
to get their hands TOO dirty (if that makes sense).

Adrien Thebo also posted a sysadmin advent post similar here -->
http://sysadvent.blogspot.com/2012/12/day-13-configuration-management-as-legos.html

Does this help?

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 1:34 PM, Wolf Noble <wno...@datapipe.com> wrote:

> Hi Gang,
>
> My colleagues and I are contemplating refactoring our modules to take
> advantage of the "roles/profiles" paradigm suggested by Craig Dunn in his
> blog post found here:
> http://www.craigdunn.org/2012/05/239/
>
> Before we jump feet-first into adopting this paradigm, I thought it a good
> idea to reach out and see what everyone else thinks about this.
>
> We're currently struggling with some problems that this paradigm seems to
> solve quite nicely; but I'm not convinced it's the best abstraction /
> organization paradigm out there.
>
> If you've not read it, I think It's worth the few minutes it takes to
> read.  Thanks Craig, for writing it.

> This message may contain confidential or privileged information. If you
> are not the intended recipient, please advise us immediately and delete
> this message. See http://www.datapipe.com/legal/email_disclaimer/ for
> further information on confidentiality and the risks of non-secure
> electronic communication. If you cannot access these links, please notify
> us by reply message and we will send the contents to you.

Gary Larizza
Professional Services Engineer